Request A Free Consultationcat-right

BRIAN CENTER HEALTH & REHABILITATION-HICKORY

LOCATED: 3031 TATE BOULEVARD SE, HICKORY, NC 28602

BRIAN CENTER HEALTH & REHABILITATION was cited by the DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES CENTERS FOR MEDICARE & MEDICAID SERVICES for the following deficiencies:

PLEASE NOTE: The following highlighted quoted text is only a portion of the full report/survey submitted by DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES CENTERS FOR MEDICARE & MEDICAID SERVICES. The full report/survey can be found here.

FACILITY FAILED TO PROTECT EACH RESIDENT FROM ALL ABUSE, PHYSICAL PUNISHMENT, AND BEING SEPARATED FROM OTHERS.

LEVEL OF HARM – IMMEDIATE JEOPARDY

**NOTE- TERMS IN BRACKETS HAVE BEEN EDITED TO PROTECT CONFIDENTIALITY**
Based on staff and witness interviews and record review the facility failed to prevent a nurse aide from physically abusing a resident for 1 of 2 abuse allegations (Resident #5). Immediate jeopardy began on 05/22/15 when nurse aide #1 abused Resident #5.

Continuing: On 05/26/15 at 9:25 AM lab technician #1 was interviewed on the telephone and reported that on 05/22/15 at 5:40 AM she was in the facility walking through the 200 Hall intersection when she heard a loud, angry voice say, Didn’t I tell you not to do that s***, huh, didn’t I? The lab technician stated that she looked immediately toward the direction of the voice and observed nurse aide (NA) #1 standing over Resident #5 who was cowered down leaning to the left. The lab technician stated that Resident #5 was in her wheelchair positioned in the center of the 200 Hall and NA #1 had a tight grip on Resident #5’s right wrist, as she spoke the NA shook Resident #5’s right wrist to emphasize her words as NA #1 repeated, Didn’t I, didn’t I? Lab technician #1 stated that she watched as NA #1 flung Resident #5’s right wrist down in the resident’s lap and then slapped Resident #5’s right shoulder twice as if she were spanking Resident #5. The lab technician stated that she immediately reported the incident to Nurse #1. The lab technician added that she reported to Nurse #1 that she had observed NA #1 manhandle Resident #5. The lab technician reported that after she spoke with Nurse #1 she left the facility and notified her immediate supervisor of the physical abuse. That afternoon, the lab technician stated that she was concerned regarding the incident she had observed and contacted the facility’s Administrator. The lab technician stated that the Administrator requested that she email her the details of the witnessed abuse. On 05/26/15 at 12:20 PM the Administrator reported that the abuse allegation was substantiated. The Administrator explained that the incident was witnessed and a statement was obtained. Review of the facility’s abuse investigation dated 05/22/15 revealed a document that was emailed to the Administrator on 05/22/15 at 2:49 PM that read in part: On Friday, May 22, 2015 at 5:40 AM I was walking through the facility to leave. As I approached the intersection of the 200 Hall, I heard a loud, stern feminine voice speaking very loud ‘Didn’t I tell you not to do that s***? Didn’t I tell you that? Huh? Didn’t I?’ Naturally I looked to my left to see what was going on. I saw Resident #5 in a wheelchair wearing a pink or peach top with a dark sweater or jacket over it, she was cowering her head down towards her left. Nurse aide #1 was standing behind the wheelchair wearing blue scrubs. She had the resident’s right wrist in a firm grasp and was shaking it to emphasize her words. NA #1 slung the Resident’s arm downward and open hand slapped her twice on the upper arm as if she were spanking a child. I immediately went to tell Nurse #1. On 05/26/15 at 5:00 PM Nurse #1 was interviewed and reported that she was the charge nurse from 11 PM to 7 AM on the morning of 05/22/15. She added that around 6 AM a witness reported that NA #1 had abused Resident #5. Nurse #1 stated that she did not assess Resident #5 for sign or injury.

Personal Note from NHAA Advocates: NHAA shares with all the families of loved ones who are confined to nursing homes the pain and anguish of putting them in the care of someone else. We expect our loved ones to be treated with dignity and honor in the homes we place them. We cannot emphasize enough to family members of nursing home residents; frequent visits are essential to our loved ones’ well-being and safety. This nursing home and many others across the country are cited for abuse and neglect.

You can make a difference. If you have a loved one living in this nursing home or any other nursing home where you suspect any form of abuse or neglect, contact us immediately.

We can help you file a state complaint, hire a specialized nursing home attorney or help you find a more suitable location for your loved one.

Contact us through our CONTACT FORM located on our website here below or on the sidebar or call our toll free hot line number: 1-800-645-5262.

You can make a difference even if your loved one has already passed away.

Click Here To Request A Free Consultation Today!

14 Responses to “HICKORY, NC – RESIDENT ABUSED BY NURSE AIDE; RESIDENT NOT ASSESSED FOR SIGN OF INJURY”

1. Karen Wray says:

This is so sad and so uncalled for!

2. Maria Teague says:

There is a man that I know who is currently in this facility and I have visited him many times. I find it very difficult to make myself go in this place. It is filthy and the patients are very unkept. Every time I visit this man he is dirty and smell like urine. I know that this is the only nursing facility in town that this mans family can afford, but it is disgusting. No human being should ever have to live in a facility like this.

3. Current empoyee says:

I work at this facility and I can promise you this is not a bad facility. We had a few bad apples and poor management. Since this occurred all the bad apples are gone and management has also changed for the better. Tons of improvements have been made and we are now completely in compliance with state regulations. Ignorance like this post only make it harder for employees like me and the residents to move forward. Seems to me this is spam and a way to get money from unknowing individuals.

4. Debra hollar says:

I pray the nurse aide and the neglect of the nurse was taken care of. Like fired. If you can’t care for our seniors or our sick fix it so they never will. So sad

5. alba hedrick says:

this is a ourrage but it happens more than folks know!! old folks are at serous risk of being abused by nurseing staff an cna’s if you have a family member in one of these places please keep a close check on them

6. Teresa says:

I had a family member i this facility and there were so many things that i saw and i even got the number to call and report things and my family member ask us not to because it would be harder on him , i was a nurse aide for 15 years and things are sure done alot differently now.

7. teresa r says:

Thats not right my comment disappeared.

8. Victoria Williams says:

Both of parents never had to go into a home, as they got older and more frail. The family was able to arrange for them to stay in their own home. I can’t imagine what families go thru to place a loved one in a facility ,just to have them abused and hurt. They took care of us and loved us but who watches out for them now. The State and Federal government needs to get involved with these care facilities.

9. Ruth Olsen says:

There are some really wicked people in this world who are nothing more than bullies to the weak and helpless. I have had more than a few incidences of mistreatment starting at 5 years old as a result of being disabled.

And to the charge nurse who did nothing, didn’t even check for injuries, shame on you for turning a blind eye and not standing up for what is right and doing your job. Sounds like this is an accepted way of treatment to the residents at this facility. God help us all to have the courage to stand up for what is right!

Kudos to the lab tech who reported this incident.

10. JUJU says:

I work in a skilled nursing facility and if i had ever seen anything like this i would not watch i would stop it and report it immediately! I was a certified nursing assistant for eight years and i mostly worked on a dementia unit……i could never even dream of treating a resident like this! Things like this get my blood boiling! I thought of each and every one of them as if they were my grand parents….and always treated them with love..respect..dignity….and kindness!

• Shirley Ruff says:

The people that work in these hell holes don’t know how to take care of the residents….They need training…Alzhemiers patients takes a special kind of care…They should have fired the na#1 and the nurse#1 and took their license so they could never work with people that can’t fight back….

11. Kimmie says:

I liked to say, to all the families out there it is better to take care of your loved one privately if you can. I’ve work at a nursing home before for around 15 years. The nursing home management will let the Nurse Aide work like a dog and won’t hire them any help. Nurse aides work through breaks, to make sure the residents had baths. At least that’s what we done 15 years ago. While management enjoyed the good salaries the patients suffer. I slept well at night and still do because I give my clients/ patients the best care anyone could provide.Its a shame that families entrust their loved ones to nursing homes to take care of them, but in turn gets neglected and abused.

12. Tammy says:

I figured it was just a matter of time before this happened. We took my mom out of there because of their neglect. Her lithium levels were lethal and it almost caused her permanent damage because they failed to assess her adequately. I asked them on 3 occasions to have the doctor check her out but they didn’t, I came back from a 4 day trip and mom was acting very strange and I asked what the doctor had said, but no doctor had came to see her and I went off on them. I told them I am bringing my doctor in to see her and fortunately a doctor on staff heard me and came by to visit her (the nurse never documented my 3 request for her to be seen). And her lithium levels were lethal. They transported her via ambulance to a local hospital and the doctor gave us an order to get in home health take care of her hip fracture at home instead of rehab at Brian center. It was awful there! Most of the staff had terrible attitudes except a few Cna’s we encountered. She didn’t even receive her scheduled rehab in the days she was supposed to have it because they claimed they were short staffed. Really? Rehab is not an option for a post hip fracture patient. This happened at least 3 different occcasions. I feared a blood clot would result from her inactivity. Thank did we got her out if there! There was one nurse in particular who was very rude to my mom and my family. I hope the new management fired her because she was very unprofessional

13. I assure you this happened at the Brian center cause my sister was there for 7 week for rehab for a stroke and in 7 weeks was givin 1 shower the whole time she couldn’t talk , get out of bed by herself and would ring for help and nobody would answer her call light so me and another sister stayed there day and night to make sure she was being taken care of. The doctor there got mad because I question the treatment my sister was being give for a UTI I reported to the Admin, director of nursing and soscial worker they were even told about the patient in the room with my sister who didn’t talk to anyone and would get her wet clothes changed 30minutes befoe shift change in the mornings , we actly had to ask for them to get my sister out of bed or help us do it .This Place needs the doors closed and never reopen it I even ask What is my sisters SS check being used for me and my eldest sister was doing the patient care, changing her bed, dressing her, even changing her wet diapers My sister Name was Angie Thomas and I was the one who seen that she left that discusting Place

LEAVE A MESSAGE or REQUEST SUPPORT